Thursday, February 18, 2016

Just to Keep You Out

I tried to stop loving you
so I built walls around my heart.
Walls made of bricks,
Just to keep you out.

And found other names
to whisper in the night.
Just to forget the feeling,
of your arms holding me tight.

But you carved yourself,
into my veins,
as if it were my grout,
that held together my brick wall.

I don't know if you meant to,
but the memories are leaking in.
And sometimes I wonder,
If you remember the way
we looked at each other.

Like we're about to kiss.
Or maybe, you forgot.

With you went so much of me,
Yet here I am, remembering
the feeling of your arms,
and how they felt like home. 

I tried to stop loving you,
to such a great extent.

Only to have no other choice,
but to convince myself

That I never have..

Just to keep you out.

2 comments:

  1. "And found other names
    to whisper in the night.
    Just to forget the feeling,
    of your arms holding me tight.'
    This whole post but especially this paragraph were so good. I loved the metaphor. I had never thought about writing about bricks like that

    ReplyDelete